Recipe: Grandma Lola’s Sweet Potato Casserole
There’s been much debate in my family, because we actually refer to this dish as “candied yams” which is wholly inaccurate. This is in fact, despite what our yee old recipe book from 1982 says, sweet potato casserole. Regardless, it’s our favorite recipe and our absolute must-have for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and brings back wonderful memories of my grandma Lola. Hope you enjoy!
Oven temp: 325 F
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 large cans of sweet potatoes (1 lb. cans)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows (not sure why our recipe says this – we use the whole bag!)
- Drain yams of syrup, mash them into a bowl with a fork or hand potato masher.
- Add salt, brown sugar, beaten egg yolks, sour cream, cinnamon, and butter. Use spoon to stir.
- Use an electric mixer until it’s smooth
- Make sure to spray baking dish with Pam and or in a dish
- Cook for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle top with marshmallows.
- Place in oven and cook until marshmallows turn light brown
- Remove and enjoy!