Reading Through December
Hey Texoma With Kids friends… can you believe it’s the most wonderful time of the year, already? Despite pandemic I hope you can find joy in this season and hold on to traditions that are dear to you. After all, it’s about the moments made together! I hope this blog finds you and your family well!
I wanted to share one of my favorite traditions of reading a Christmas book every night and of course having them around all month long. We have come up with quite the collection since my big girls were little. Now the littles get to reap the rewards!
When people describe me they use the word intentional and I love that. I do try to have purpose in all I do. I wanted to highlight a couple of our favorite books and why.
- Christmas in America by Callisto Gingrich highlights history in America and the Christmas Spirit. What a great year to be reminded together about this.
- You are My Miracle by Maryann Cusimano Love and Satomi Ichikawa. I love this one because it reminds me of my 4 year old Rainbow Baby and now my 2 year old NICU baby. Life is a miracle to celebrate, love this Christmas book that incorporates that.
- God Gave Us Christmas by Lisa Tawn Bergren. Love this whole series! What an amazing Father to give us Christmas!
- The Miracle of The First Poinsettia by Joanne Oppenheim I got this book to remind my girls of their cultural roots. Love that each culture even has specific Christmas tales!
- The Nutcracker and A Christmas Carol, we have many variations of these books. Each year my big girls usually perform in A Christmas Carol with Graham Regional Theatre and dance the Nutcracker with their dance studio. So I give the littles a new book in their Advent gifts performance day. With Covid it makes me cherish these times and memories even more.
- They aren’t all serious! Merry Christmas, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt is definitely on the list! It is so fun and I love the giggles that come with it. My 2 year old love dinosaurs this year too. Bonus!
Tips on how to get these books. eBay! You can get great prices for used books. Of course garage sales and Scholastic Book Orders. Lastly I have an ongoing Amazon Book List and get here and there when I can.
I hope you enjoy reading and making memories with your family this holiday season!